Monday, September 24, 2007

Appetizer

Before we kick things off, a few words about the creation of this blog and the hopes I have for it:

My previous blog, a random collection of recycled links, lame jokes and personal stories, has left me unsatisfied creatively. I started IN OTHER NEWS™ as an outlet for me while I had to deal with work and school, but for a long time I have considered updating it to be a chore. Being fed up with my current blog, I have decided to start a new one with a more focused topic. I decided to go with a topic that I felt passionately about, to ensure that I would be more active in posting and that I would see this as another outlet, a haven where I can talk at length about the things that interest me.

But what interests me? I only have a passing interest in most things, and I don't care enough to write about pop culture, comics, music, movies, television or school. I do care about one thing a lot though: food. I never realized how much I care about it though, since food is such a commonplace part of my day. After thinking about it further however, I've realized how much I love food. Any food. Fast food, fancy restaurant fare, fruits and vegetables, candy bars, microwave dinners, anything. Any food. Food is freaking great. It was my love affair with food that kept me overweight for so many years--totally worth it by the way, I ate many delicious things--but even now, as I am among the ranks of the thin, my relationship with food has not changed.

I don't want to be biased either one way or the other in my food reviews. I want to talk about good food, but I also want to talk about fast food and junk as well. Either way, I just hope it will be entertaining and that I have as good a time writing about food as I do eating food.

I owe debts of gratitude to Tom the Dog's You Know What I Like? and Jon Yorde's Love Me Some Pop, the first as a model for good writing and the second as a structural model for writing what you know. Ian Brill's Brill Building also deserves a shout-out since I am following his lead and abandoning my old blog (please come back, Ian). With any luck What Looks Good? will be as good as the aforementioned. Okay, that's enough personal stuff. Let's Eat! I'll be starting things off with the In-N-Out Double-Double, my favorite meal.

1 comment:

J Yo said...

I saw the Double Double and knew this blog would be amazing.